Troop Outing / Activity Archive 2009

Boy Scouts of America - Troop 401 - Steubenville, Ohio

January 10, 2009 - Junior Leader Training

We arrived at Malara Hall for the JLT early in the morning. We started off with a talk on leadership (surprising right?) and afterwards we separated into different groups and played a game focused on leading, such as one where everybody was blindfolded except the leader and he had to tell the other people where to stand to make a certain shape. We had a couple more talks, mostly by some older scouts, and with games in between, and ordered pizza for lunch. In the afternoon we had a couple more talks (and games) mostly focused on troop positions. At 5:00, we had closing and went home (far more leaderly than before).

Submitted by Polaris Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

January 2009 - Annual Ohio River Valley Council Klondike Derby

When we arrived Friday night we registered and set up camp, with five other troops, in Shoshone campsite. There were over 150 scouts in the Klondike this year and 22 of those scouts were from our troop. Though it wasn't too cold that night, it did get bitter cold by the next morning. Thankfully, there was snow on the ground for the competition, instead of past years where there's been lots of mud. All four of our patrols did well and three of them placed in the top ten. Polaris Patrol came in 6th place, the Dragons Patrol came in 5th, and for the third year in a row, Senior Patrol came in 1st place!!!!!!!! Yeah!!! Note - The Senior patrol's overall win gives them back-to-back-to-back overall victories! Congratulations on a job well done!

Submitted by Dragons Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

February 2009 - Third Annual Junior Leader "Cabin" Outing

On February 20th, the PLC members of Troop 401 headed out from the St. Joseph Center in Steubenville to our destination, the cabins at Grandvue in Moundsville, WV. When we got to the cabin, all the scouts were excited to get the fun filled, relaxing weekend started. After settling in and making a fire, we started playing board games and eating snacks. We stayed up until about 2am playing games, including the highly popular bottle cap game.

In the morning after eating a delicious breakfast, we went outside and played football till lunch time. After lunch the scouts went back outside to play a game of capture the flag. The game was interrupted when one of our scouts fell and broke his femur. We tried our best to make him comfortable until an ambulance arrived. The ambulance crew and firemen on the scene, decided to play it safe and call in a helicopter to fly him to Pittsburgh. While we waited for the helicopter, we scouts helped in any way we could. The helicopter finally came and they took him to the Hospital. Afterward we returned to our cabin and ate a pizza dinner. The rest of the night was spent playing games inside the cabin. The next morning we ate a quick breakfast, cleaned the cabin and packed up our gear. We then proceeded to Marietta to attend Scout Sunday, which followed with a lunch social. After eating our fill, we left for home. This was a great outing aside from the one scout breaking his leg.

Submitted by Senior Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

March 2009 - Shooting Sports Outing

The shooting outing was a blast! We got there Friday night and Fuzzy had the fire already going with enough fire wood for the weekend and a big pot of popcorn and a thermos of coffee for the leaders. That night we played infiltration. Saturday morning we shot 22's and
the over all winner was our ASPL (J.D.). In the afternoon we did archery and our Troop Guide (A.B.) was over all winner. Three people were doing First Class cooking the food was great especially Nam's. That night we had a campfire and then went to bed. Well except for one scout (L.F.) who in his sleep took a walk in the woods looking for his shoe. Sunday morning we packed up and left. I sure hope they have another shooting outing next year.

Submitted by Nam Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

April 2009 - Caving Day Outing

The outing began on Sunday with Holy Mass at the Cathedral.

After Mass we changed out of our uniforms and got ourselves together and left for Laurel Caverns. It took about an hour and half to get to our destination and we had to drive up a very steep and long hill to get there.

When we arrived we gathered our gear and went inside. After the leaders took care of some paperwork we all went into a little room where our guide instructed us on everything we needed to know. Each of us were then given helmets and some duct tape. We taped our flashlights to our helmets then headed into the cave.

Before we actually entered the cave we had to walk through a "Bleach Bath" which appeared to be a short hall with a large sponge soaked in bleach water covering the floor. We walked down a lighted passageway to a room in the cave where a guide told us a few more things.

We turned our lights on and went down a long wide open stairway. When we got to the bottom our path met with a stream that ran through the cave which we would follow most of the hike.

By and by we came to a large open room in the cave with a very high ceiling called the 'Ballroom'. Hanging on the walls and ceiling of that room were bunches of little black bats. While we were in the Ballroom our guide had us all turn off our lights for a few minutes. It was pitch-black and you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. It was as if you were blind. After that we continued down the cave .

Beyond this point there were several places where there was a choice of taking an easy route to the next point, or a more challenging one. Our guide took the easy way, and most every scout took the more difficult routes.

The cave was very wet and sandy and the temperature was in the 50's. There were also certain landmarks of interest along the way, like a rock that looked like an angel fish.

We hiked to the bottom of the cave where the stream went underneath the rocks and the opening was too small to crawl through. We took a slightly different path on the way back up but we went through some of the same rooms we had been in before.

Towards the end of our hike near the entrance of the cave we went up a path of smooth ground. On that path was a 2 by 4 with a light shining on it.

There was a groove in this 2 X 4 that a golf ball could roll down. A guide took out a pink golf ball and put it on the board that appeared to be at a 35 degree angle. When he let go we were surprised to see the ball seemingly roll up the board. The guide explained this was an illusion.
After this we hiked to the surface and retrieving clothing from the vehicles, came back and changed. We left Laurel Caverns heading home about 6 pm stopping at Wendy's for dinner and came home tired. It was a good outing.

Click Here for Slideshow

May 2009 - Short Hike Backpack Overnighter

On May 1st, the scouts of Troop 401 set out from Steubenville to their destination: the Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area in West Virginia.

After a 4 to 5 hour drive, we arrived at the trailhead. Around 10:45pm, in the dark, we strapped on our backpacks and headed down the trail. We encountered several large streams that needed to be crossed on the 3.5 mile hike into camp.

After waking up Saturday morning the scouts ate a quick breakfast then enjoyed advancement and games. Then after a quick lunch the scouts headed out on a 3 mile hike. It was here that we enjoyed many great views of West Virginia and swimming at a nearby waterfall. The scouts returned to camp and ate dinner. Afterward, we played a game of capture the flag. Later, the scouts gathered around the fire and sang songs, played three leadeers on a log, then went to bed. In the morning, we ate breakfast and packed for home. Most of the scouts had a great time. I hope we will go again.

Submitted by Desert Storm Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

June 2009 - Annual Scout Retreat

We arrived at St. Michael's and unpacked our gear. We then set up our tents on the hill behind the cemetery behind the church. We then had a meeting in which we discussed the schedule and rules. We had a campfire and ate food after evening prayer and confession. We then turned in for the night.

The next morning we had breakfast and morning prayer. The rest of the morning consisted of relays and games that built our team building skills and allowed us to grow in maturity. We had lunch, which was followed by a vocational talk. We then had free time until dinner. We consumed the food and had evening prayer. We then went on a Stations of the Cross walk. When we got back we had a very good ice cream social. We then tried to sleep but there was a dog and some very loud music which would not go away.

The next morning we went to mass and had breakfast. We then cleaned up the hall and left. It was a good outing full of prayer, fun, and food.

Submittted by Senior Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

July 2009 - Ohio River Valley Council Summer Camp

Fort Steuben Scout Reservation. It's a time were Scouts spend a whole week earning merit badges, working on advancement for their rank and having lots of fun.

We arrived Sunday the 5th of July at Fort Steuben Scout Reservation around 12:45pm. After signing in we first went down to the water front and completed our BSA swim test. We then focused on matters in our Troop camp site (Mohican) such as setting up the Troop dining fly and making a ax yard. The day concluded with dinner and a camp fire.

Monday the day started with a camp wide flag ceremony done by Troop 401 followed by breakfast. After breakfast all the scouts went to different parts of camp to attend Merit Badges.

Tuesday was an exciting day with a polar bear swim at 6:00am! We did more merit badges and the Troop 401 Volleyball team beat three different troops in Volleyball tournament. That night we had a Troop campfire where we figured out what skits to do at Wednesdays campfire.

Wednesday was family night, where the families of the scouts came into camp to visit. After lunch that day the Troop 401 Volleyball team played staff for the championship, although we lost we were still very proud of our team. Around 5:00pm the families began to arrive, scouts were able to eat dinner in the Troop camp site since most families brought dinner with them. After dinner merit badge areas were open for the families to come and see, at 8:30pm there was a camp wide campfire where the troops performed skits and songs. The Order of the Arrow tap out ceremony concluded the campfire.

Thursday started off with another polar bear swim at the water front at 6:00am! That night after dinner there was a canoe out post on the lake. Scouts canoed for an hour until they stopped at the out post and spent the night. We also had two boys spend the night in shelters they had made for the wilderness survival merit badge.

Friday was our last full day at camp, most of the scouts spent the day finishing up merit badges and getting some last minute advancement done. That night after dinner some boys participated in the Logan ceremony while others back at camp took down the dining fly and removed the ax yard. The next morning after breakfast the scouts packed up their gear, did a last minute sweep of the camp then waited for there parents to come pick them up.

This years summer camp was great!

Submitted by Senior Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

August 2009 - Annual Senior Scout Outing

For the senior outing all scouts 15 and older and first class, went to the Lower Youghiogheny in Ohiopyle, PA for a white water rafting outing. We arived around 11:30 at the check in , and after a safety talk we suited up and hit the rapids. We traveled down the river with only a few mishaps and just before the major rapids we stopped for lunch. We reached the take out point at around 5:00, and after a stop at Zalenski's we reached home at around 8:00. It was a great outing and I hope we do it again.

Submitted by Senior Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

September 2009 - Canoeing Overnighter

We arrived at Fort Steuben Scout Reservation on Friday evening around 6:30. After we set up camp, we played a game of "underground church", sang around the campfire and told a "never ending story". We went to bed a little after 11. Saturday morning we had breakfast at about 7:30 then went canoeing around 10:00. We crossed Clendening reservoir (about 2.5 miles) and then paddled to the shore where we ate lunch around Noon. After lunch, we canoed back to the dock and arrived at about 3:00. Many of the scouts then swam in the lake for about an hour. We headed back to camp and began cooking dinner. Several scouts were cooking for their first and second class requirements on this trip. We ate dinner at 5:30 p.m. After dinner, we played underground church again, had a campfire, and went to bed. On Sunday, we got up and ate breakfast around 7:30, then packed up and headed back to Steubenville.

Submitted by Nam Patrol

Click Here for Slideshow

October 2009 - Short Hike Backpack Overnighter

The October outing was a short backpacker held at "Bear Run Nature Reserve," one of our favorite camp sites. We rolled up to the parking lot at about 9:00 PM on Oct 23rd, and hiked in about ¾ of a mile. It had been raining on the way in, but it stopped raining and let us go in dry. We got to the campsite at about 10:15 PM, and pitched camp. Then we said vespers and went to bed. Next morning we woke up at 7:00AM on Oct 24th, and made breakfast. It rained during the night, and on and off the next morning, but everybody had a good time anyway. We played trail football untill 12:00PM, and then ate lunch.
After lunch, we went on a hike, of about 3 miles. We got back around 3:30 PM, and sat around or gathered fire wood. We ate dinner at about 5:30 PM, then held a campfire which was a lot of fun. We went to bed at about 10:00 PM. Next morning we got up at 6:30 AM and took down our tents and bear bags, we then ate a quick breakfast, started back to the cars.
We changed to our uniforms and drove to St. Joan of Ark Church, where we attended 11:00 AM Mass. After Mass we started back for Steubenville on the way back we stopped at Wendy's fast food and ate lunch. We got back to St Joseph Center parking lot at 3:00 PM and were taken home.
The Outing was enjoyed by everyone attending it.

Submitted by Desert Storm Patrol (11-9-2009)

Click Here for Slideshow

November 2009 - Shooting Sports Overnighter - Fort Steuben Scout Reservation

We arrived at Mohican campsite at about six-thirty to a huge bowl of popcorn and a roaring fire from Fuzzy. After pitching tents and having lots of yummy snacks, the scouts decided to play a well known game of Infiltration. However there was too much light and after two games the scouts went to bed. The next morning after having wonderful breakfasts, including one Dutch Oven dish from P.S.'s first class cooking, the webelos from Pack 401 came. All of the leaders, boy scouts and cub scouts then shot with bows and arrows, 22's and BB guns with the people not shooting playing football. Later after another great meal the boy scouts were able to shoot 20 gauge shotguns, as well as the leaders, and then the cub scouts left. After two very well prepared dutch oven dinners and a few long delayed desserts, the scouts played another game of Infiltration in a darker location and then went to bed. When scouts woke up the next morning they cleaned up the camp and went home. The Outing was enjoyable to all of the troop and the future members of the troop.

Submitted by Polaris Patrol (11/30/2009)

Shooting Results . . . . . .

Archery - Louis F. (22 out of 25)

22 Rifle - Andrew R. (25 out of 25 tightest pattern)

Shotgun - Max L. (20 out of 25)

Overall Second Place - James D. (60 out of 75)

Overall First Place - Joseph D. (63 out of 75)

Congratulations to the winners! They and all who participated had a great time.

Click Here for Slideshow

December 2009 - Air Force Museum Overnighter

(On the car trip we had a conversation about Peyton Manning and how he would get us tickets to the Colts game on Sunday but he never did). We got there at about 9:15pm, set up camp and then went to bed around 11:00pm. In the morning it was pretty cold. We cooked breakfast and left for the museum at 8:30. The museum was great! There was an observation balloon in the first section along with early planes, including the Wright brother planes. At 12:00 we went to the cars to eat lunch. After lunch we watched "Fighter Pilots" in the I-Max Theater. The second section was about WW II. There were some cool bombers in the cold wars section including the B-2. The last section had missiles in it. We left the museum at 5:00 and went back to camp. At camp we ate dinner, played infiltration, and went to bed at 11:00. We got up at 6:00 and packed up camp and left for mass at 8:30. Everyone had a great time on the outing I thought it was awesome.

Submitted bt Dragons Patrol (12-13-2009)

Click Here for Slideshow

Return to Activities Archive

Return to Home